Friends, I must confess something: I am awful at having a thankful heart. Really.
Have you ever heard that saying, "If you woke up tomorrow with only things you thanked God for today, what would you have?"
I think that's a great thought to bear in mind, and something that I've been challenged very much by since I heard it a few months ago. This is why I have decided to add a weekly Friday post, highlighting my top 5 favorite things from the week! I want to invite you in to see what things in my week have given my gladness, and hopefully it will give you some ideas of things you might be thankful for, too.
Here it goes:
1) Sarah V., who surprised me with a gorgeous and giant bouquet of bright, cheerful flowers on Sunday evening. I was in the middle of making dinner for some friends when Christian's phone rang. "Babe, someone is here for you. Can you go down and see them really fast?" I went down and there she was. Standing outside my door with flowers and the kindest card. Talk about the best way to start a week!
2) Raul and Heidy, our cousins. We just got to go and witness their marriage at a drop-dead-gorgeous venue in Kentucky back in July. Heidy is Christian's cousin from Paraguay, and her and her Mexican man, Raul met while working with Operation Mobilisation on its ship, Logos Hope. We had a great time getting to know them better and showing them around our city, Sunday through Tuesday. We're so glad they're family.
3) PRAY Chicago. It's an event that happens every so often that is city-wide with churches of all denominations and from all the neighborhoods coming together at one venue to worship and to pray over the chaos and brokenness in our city. It was such a beautiful thing to join hands and pray over the problems of severe racism, the extraordinary amount of shootings and deaths, the poverty and gentrification, and for the Church's role in repentance and loving our neighbors. I am so thankful that I got to participate in this event on Wednesday night along with 1,400 others. Also, just for the record, I was a basket-case of emotion.
4) Our bed. Guys, I really just love our bed. Actually, our room. It's so fresh, so comfy and is the peanut butter to our jelly. That's really all I have to say about this.
5) That I get the life experience of living in Chicago. It still amazes me at times that we ended up here. We have grown here, built such great community and made this place home.
There you have it for this first Friday Thanks post!
Have a beautiful weekend, friends!